• Outdoor Parks Dog On Leash Off Leash Trash Receptacle Pathways

Parks Frequently Asked Questions

Find responses to frequently asked questions below. Inquiries not found here may be directed to Parks at 403-938-8958 or by submitting an inquiry online:


Animal Related
Where are dogs allowed off leash?

The only place dogs are allowed off leash is at the Off Leash Park south of the Drake Landing Storm Pond. Check out the Off Leash Dog Park page online for a map on how to get to the park. Dogs are not permitted off leash in natural areas or the River Valley. Dogs are not allowed on school grounds.

What do I do if I find a dog “at large?”

If you are unsure of the owner, call Municipal Enforcement or use our Report It tool. If the dog is vicious and you feel threatened, call the RCMP at 9-1-1.

What do I do if I come across a wild animal?

If you experience an aggressive animal incident, defined as “chasing, or kicking, at a person or pet resulting in damage or injury,” you should contact the Report-A-Poacher line immediately at 1-800-642-3800 and be able to report the location of the aggressive animal.  This line is monitored 24/7 and the staff will determine if further action is required.

Will there be gopher control provided in the park behind my home?

Parks does provide gopher control in select areas around Okotoks. Contact Parks to inquire is this area can be included in the treatment program.

Why isn't the pathway cleared of snow near my house?

Okotoks Town Council has determined that only primary pathways will receive snow clearing as part of an overall pathway strategy to improve pedestrian movement year round. View the snow clearing pathways map.

Who is responsible for the boulevard maintenance adjacent to my property?

In new communities often the developer will maintain the boulevards for the first season or so. However, the responsibility for boulevard maintenance, is that of the landowner/occupant adjacent to the boulevard. Maintenance responsibilities include turf maintenance and sidewalk snow removal. The Town maintains the boulevard trees (ie. Pruning, watering, pest control, etc.). If you believe the tree requires maintenance, please call the Town's Urban Forester.

Who maintains the public lands near my home?

The lands are either maintained by the Town, or sometimes the developer in the case of new communities. If you have a question/concern about the maintenance, contact Parks or the developer in your community.

How can I organize a group litter pick, weed pick, or other volunteer event in my area?

Contact the Horticulture Hotline for help in organizing your event.

Would the Town have taken my sign that I had placed on the boulevard or median?

Yes. Signs are not permitted on boulevards and medians as per the Town's guidelines for signs on public property.

View the guidelines

Can I access the park with a vehicle to deliver something to my backyard?

Yes, but you must obtain a Vehicle Access Permit for Public Lands by contacting Parks. Please call at least two business days in advance.

Can residents plant flowers, trees, and shrubs in the park area or boulevard adjacent to their home?

Residents are not permitted to plant on public lands. However, the Town may authorize a property owner install an alternative ground covers  to turf on boulevards. Call the Horticulture Hotline for more information.  

How do I inquire about Cemetery plot availability and rates?

Visit the Cemetery page or call the Cemetery Administrator.

Do I need to book a sports field before I use it?

Yes. Sports fields must be booked for two reasons. You must book it to ensure your group gets it for the desired time and to protect field integrity.  There are maximum daily hours of use and consecutive days of use scheduled for fields. By booking fields, you help protect the quality of our fields.

Book a sports field

Does the Town have any outdoor ice rinks for public use?

Yes. Visit the Outdoor Rinks and Toboganning page for locations.

Is there a community garden in Okotoks?

Yes. Call the Family & Community Support Services at 403-995-2773 to find out more.

Learn more about the Community Garden.