Frequently Asked Questions

What are the rules for parking my vehicle on my residential street?

On street parking in residential areas is limited and leaving a vehicle parked on the roadway for extended periods of time can cause concerns with neighbors or hinder snow removal efforts by the Town. Although the streets are free to be used by anyone for parking, if a vehicle is not used regularly and remains parked in one spot, it may be reported to Municipal Enforcement to be investigated.

According to the section of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act regulating Abandoned Vehicles, a vehicle parked on a roadway without moving for more than 72 hours is considered abandoned and may legally be ticketed or towed. Municipal Enforcement officers typically attempt to work with the owners of these vehicles to provide an opportunity to move the vehicle, however under certain circumstances, abandoned vehicles could end up being ticketed and/or towed.

Under the Land Use Bylaw, every residence in Okotoks must have off street parking. Vehicle owners are encouraged to use their off street parking for vehicles they do not drive frequently so the vehicle does not create parking concerns or issues. Vehicles that are used daily and move regularly should not cause any issues, however, if owners will be away on vacation, it is recommended to leave a set of keys with a family member or a neighbor so they can move the vehicle if necessary. For further information regarding on street parking, please contact the Municipal Enforcement Inquiry Line at 403-995-6302.

Is construction noise controlled in a residential neighborhood?

Yes, it is prohibited for construction in progress to create a noise or disturbance which can be heard in a residential building before 7:00 am Monday to Saturday or before 9:00 am on Sundays or holidays, or after 10:00 pm any day.

Does my child need to be home by a certain time each night?

Yes, anyone under 16 years of age is not permitted to be in any public place between 12:01 am and 5:00 am any day of the week without an adult or guardian present, or a legitimate reason.

Does my neighbor have to keep their grass cut and weeds pulled?

Yes, every owner or occupant of property must control all weeds and grass on the premises including the boulevard adjoining the property as well as up to the center of the alley or lane at the rear of the premises. Grass shall be cut so as not to grow to such a height that it would be considered unsightly in comparison to adjacent or surrounding yards with the exception of “natural” grasses used in xeriscape yards.

Can I store my recreation vehicle (trailer/motorhome/boat) on my front driveway?

No, recreation vehicles may only be parked on the front driveway for a period of up to 72 hours for loading and unloading and must be parallel to the sides of the driveway, cannot encroach onto the sidewalk, curb or roadway, and must not create a hazard for pedestrians or motorists. Recreation vehicles may be stored on private property at any location other than in a front or side yard adjacent to a roadway (ie: a back yard).

Are cyclists supposed to give pedestrians the right of way on the pathways?

Yes, cyclists are responsible for alerting pedestrians of their intention to overtake or pass with either a bell or verbally prior to doing so. Cyclists must not travel at a rate of speed in excess of 20 kilometers per hour or at any rate that is unreasonable taking into consideration the conditions and circumstances occurring along the pathway at the time including volume of traffic, condition of pathway, weather and visibility.

Does my dog have to be licensed and how much does it cost?

Yes, any animal 3 months of age or older must be licensed within 7 days of taking up residence in the Town of Okotoks with the exception of assistance dogs, for example seeing eye or guide dogs. License fees are $100.00 for an unaltered dog, $25.00 for a spayed or neutered dog and $10.00 to replace a lost dog tag.

Can I walk my well trained or well behaved dog without a leash?

No, all dogs must be kept on a leash (maximum length of 3 meters) any time they are off their own private property. If you use a retractable or long leash, it is important to pull your dog in close to you prior to meeting up with other people or animals using the sidewalk or pathway so as to allow all parties unobstructed access. Dog owners using the Off Leash Park may release their animal from its leash once they are safely inside the confines of the park.

Do I have to pick up after my dog if it defecates in an alley?

Yes, anyone walking a dog on any public property is responsible to pick up their dog’s defecation from public property which includes alleys or laneways. Even dog defecation on your own private property must be cleaned up in a timely manner so it does not become offensive to neighboring properties.

Can a Peace Officer take away a cat that is trespassing on my property?

No, there is no cat bylaw in the Town of Okotoks and Municipal Enforcement Officers do not catch or trap cats.

Can I park my recreation vehicle (trailer/motorhome/boat) on the street in Okotoks?

Yes, recreation vehicles may be parked on the street for a period of up to 72 hours (to load and unload) after which they must be removed for a minimum period of 48 hours. Any trailer parked on the street must be attached to a vehicle at all times.

Can I park in the back alley?

No, any vehicle (including trailers or other vehicles) are not allowed to park in any back alley or laneway.

Do I have to shovel the snow off my sidewalk right away?

Yes, the owner or any other person in charge of the property shall remove as soon as possible, or within 24 hours, all snow, ice, dirt or debris and other obstructions from the public sidewalk adjoining the premises owned or occupied by them.